Monday, January 25, 2021

My Favorite Places

 My Favorite Places

I have two favorite places I wanted to make sure to mention in this post. They both mean a lot to me and have given me great memories. One is relatively new to me and hopefully will become my future hometown in a year or two and the other is my original hometown where I grew up.

1. Charleston, South Carolina 

A few years ago my best friend, her husband, and her two children moved to Charleston, SC from Midwest City, OK. Since they had to move for work, we all promised that I would visit regularly. Well, in the last 2 years I have been to Charleston quite a bit. I spent Thanksgiving in 2019, three months in quarantine there in 2020, and went back for Thanksgiving again in 2020. I have had such a good time learning the area and exploring it each time I go. The houses and buildings there are beautiful, the culture is rich, and the people are so friendly and welcoming there. I also love the slow and relaxed feel of the south, since that is what I was raised in. I plan to move there in about a year to a year and a half because I love the community so much. 
This is the drive in to the famous Boone Hall Plantation. It is lined with live oaks that have stood there for hundreds of years. 
(Image by: happypoon1 on flikr, link above)

One of the many historic homes in downtown Charleston.
(Source: Personal Photo taken during a tour of downtown, November 2020)

2. Marion County, Tennessee

My second favorite place is where I am from and where I grew up. I am from a small town called Jasper in East Tennessee. Although I'm from Jasper, the other small towns in the county essentially seem to make it feel like one bigger town. My home is way out in the middle of what some people would call the "boonies." It really brings the whole feeling of the small southern town to life. It's surrounded by mountains, everyone knows everyone else, and it has that laid-back easy lifestyle of the south. Growing up, I have so many memories in so many places all over the county. I visit there often as my mother, sisters, and other relatives still live there. Every time I visit I am given such a sense of nostalgia and thankfulness for all the memories I have made. 

The "cove," one of the many places we used to swim at during the summers. Complete with a rope for swinging off of into the water. (Source: Personal Photo taken June 21, 2015)

This is a picture of the old memorial bridge that went across Nickajack Lake. It was right down the road from where I grew up. They eventually took down the bridge because it was aging. 


These are my favorite places! One is where I started and one is where I hope to be live one day. Where are you favorite places? I can't wait to see what everyone else's is! :)  









1 comment:

  1. This has been a great semester so far for fans of South Carolina, Lauren! And for purposes of the myth-folklore place, Charleston in particular, and South Carolina in general is such a great location for storytelling traditions, so you might even want to consider that as a project for class. Just this weekend I was working on a collection of stories from the South Carolina Sea Islands: Folklore of the Sea Islands, South Carolina... And I know where Jasper is! I lived in Nashville when I was in high school, and am always glad to go back to Tennessee and visit, city and country. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Story Lab week 15: Six Word Stories/ Microfiction

       Henry Mills, The New Author Henry Mills sat in his room thinking over how he had just become the Author, keeper, and teller of all st...