Thursday, January 28, 2021

Introduction to a Jesus Loving Southern Future Social Worker

So, I guess we can start with my name! 😅 My name is Lauren and I'm a current student at OU. I'm from a little town in Tennessee called Jasper. I moved to Oklahoma for college and to start my career. I love Jesus, my family (bio and non-bio!), and my life. I love to read, listen to music, and watch Disney movies. I'm also a nerd who loves fanfiction, cosplay, comics, etc. I'm really excited and nervous about this semester (the last 2 semesters have been kinda chaotic!) because I graduate in May and have A LOT on my plate...3 classes, a part-time job, 12 hours of an internship a week, ministry work, and personal and spiritual life to keep up.... not really that busy....right??!! Even though it is kinda hectic and stuff right now, I love my crazy life. I'm so blessed to have people who love me, mentors who believe in me, and a God who has great plans for me. 

More about my family:

I am the oldest of three girls. My mom and sisters still live in our hometown. I have one beautiful niece, that keeps us on our toes and laughing. (And she's only 8 months old!) We are super close. Also, since moving here to Oklahoma I have created a whole other part of my family. I have a best friend that "adopted" me and brought me into her family and extended family. I now am blessed to have 3 godchildren, who are all under the age of 3 and are all siblings! (Talk about exhausted parents...😂) I also have been taken in as part of the family by my host family who has been so generous and gracious to me throughout my time at OU. They have supported me like no other through everything. So, as you can see, I'm really blessed! 

My 8 month old niece Tahlia! (Source: personal family photo taken Janurary 15, 2020)


My three God Children from left to right: Holten, Lincoln, and Gracia. (Source: Personal Family Photo taken November 2020)

My time at OU:

I am a senior in my last semester of the social work bachelor's program. I am also a part of the Child Welfare Enhancement Program (CWPEP), which means I intern at Child Welfare in Norman and will be working for them full time starting in the summer of 2021. I love to help people and see them rise up from crises and I love to see families come together. I want to see families and children heal and work towards a better future for them and our communities. My last two years at OU learning how to do that has been amazing.  I have met so many new people and learned so much. (And that's not even counting what I've learned in class!) Though the last few semesters have been hard, I'm proud of how the OU students, faculty, and community have come together. I can't wait to see what my last semester holds! BOOMER SOONER!!! 


One of my first days on OU campus! 
(Source: Personal Photo taken August 2019)


A little bit more about my faith: 

I love Jesus and am a Christian. I live to serve Him with everything in me and try my hardest to live the way He did when He lived on Earth. I've been involved in ministry for about 6 or 7 years now. I have been a youth leader (teaching and mentoring teenagers), a Sunday school teacher to toddlers, a children's pastor, and now am a mentor to young adults and other college students. It's been great to be able to work in ministry and see and learn from so many people. I think, especially from the children, I have learned more than I could ever teach over the years. 



A group picture from church camp back in 2018...do I look as exhausted as I felt chasing around 9 teenage girls all week??? (Source: Personal Photo of the Victory Faith Center Youth Group at Church Camp July 2018)

All about my favorite things:

So, I'm basically a fan of a lot of different books, shows, and comics. I love Disney, DC, mythology, fairytales, etc. I love to read. I like how a book can just transport you to a completely different world without you having to move a muscle. I love music. Since I'm from Tennessee, I do have a soft spot for country music. I also listen to different genres in Christian music (Christian rap, pop, southern gospel, contemporary, etc.) I also like R&B, Rap, Oldies, etc., it just depends on my mood. One of my favorite things to do is hang out with people. I'm a very social person. My favorite foods are Italian and Chinese. Lastly, my favorite color is red. Anymore favorites you want to know, just ask! 


Welp....after a very lengthy blog post....


Clipart

 (Source: Vector Cliparts link: https://pixy.org/584218/ )







18 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren!
    After reading through your blog there seems to be a lot we have in common – I love my family, I'm also a Christian, and I love Disney! I know a lot of people in the social work school, and it's so awesome to read about how passionate you are about the work you do and helping people in and out of your job. I applaud you for braving Oklahoma and all that comes with it for college, that's a journey not most people take, but it sounds like you're really happy and proud – as you should be! I don't know if you've ever heard of Sigma Phi Lambda on campus, but you should definitely check us out, even if it's for your last semester! I'm the president and would be more than happy to talk to you about it if you're interested:) Have a great last semester!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren,
    I am also into DC and cosplay. In fact, I went to my first comic con in high school and I cosplayed as the Riddler. I'm not Christian, but it sounds like you have a really good relationship with your faith. Did you have any problems adjusting in that regard when you moved? I know I had issues because my faith involves the use of flame in ritual and the campus apartments do not allow candles or incense. I have had to find other ways of expressing my devotion to the gods, but I digress. I find religion fascinating, and am in fact taking a course on world religions this semester. I love talking about religious concepts with people, regardless of faith.

    May the randomizer allow our paths to cross again,
    -A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren,
    I also like Disney movies! My favorites are Cars, and Toy Story. I also have a huge interest in pop culture such as cosplay. Although I have never done cosplay myself, I enjoy watching others online showcase their costumes. Some people really put time and money into theirs. These last few semesters have definitely been rough as you said, adjusting to online college classes is difficult it takes a whole new level of responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lauren!
    I was born and raised in Oklahoma, and my family is pretty small. It’s just me, my parents, and my two brothers. We are super close though! I also love Disney. I have been surviving this pandemic by watching Disney Plus! I’ve been going back through old shows that I used to watch when I was a kid and re-watching them. I have also been obsessively watching The Mandalorian.
    Wishing you a good graduation,
    Cady

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lauren! Wow, I can’t even imagine having that much on my plate and I highly respect you for being able to handle that workload. I also think it’s really cool how you enjoy all types of music because I also enjoy a bunch of different genres of music. I really hope you enjoy your last semester here and hope you finish out strong!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Lauren! I can definitely understand your struggle juggling your personal and spiritual life. I help out with the media team at our church. It's awesome that despite your busy life, you still take time to work in ministry! You've only got one more semester to go, so just put your all into it so you can celebrate in a few months!

    Good luck with this semester and with your career!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lauren!
    I just finished reading your Week 3 story and I was quite curious as to who the writer was, and I was not disappointed! I loved your story and am glad that I read your Intro to get to know you more! It sounds like you have had an amazing time here at OU and, as born and raised Oklahoman, I am glad to know that you are working in our state to help both with broken families and broken lives; we are better because of people who have hearts like yours. I was curious whether you were involved in any on-campus ministries and what church you go to here in Norman? I have been on leadership at the BCM for three years now and would love for you to come by sometime! Looking forward to what you have to write in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lauren!

    I can relate to having a lot on your plate, as I am currently working 2 jobs, a full time student, and am working as a research assistant, so I know how hard you must be working to maintain your commitments. I also really admire how when you're this busy, you're able to keep your priorities straight in terms of your family, friendships, and your faith! These are the things that matter most in life, and they require time and dedication that you appear to be putting into them, with a very full plate at that! I look forward to reading your stories this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Lauren,
    I also love Jesus! I love reading your faith section and your involvement with youth. Thinking back, I have been to many church camps like Cross Timbers, Falls Creek, and Sky Ranch and I love church camps so much. I also am a big Disney fan! As a kid, I dreamed of working there because I love how happy Disney parks make people (besides the stress of crowds at times). Social work is an incredible field and I love that you want to make a difference in people's lives. For sure a great field for it. Have an amazing last semester with everything you are doing and keep going strong, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lauren!
    I see you have a very dynamic personality and are very blessed with good friends and relationships. I also love to read and I am very spiritual as well. Make sure to take care of yourself throughout all the tasks you have to do. As a premed I totally understand and mental health is so important. I congratulate you on soon graduating OU! I wish you the best in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Social work is such a great program at OU, Lauren... and I know it is also really demanding too! I always hope that the storytelling skills and practice social work majors get in this class can be useful in that social world context, and of course so much about ministry is about storytelling too (different stories for different ages, from toddlers on up!). And how beautiful that you have a niece who was born in these pandemic times: to me that is such a great sign of hope, the little kids who are able to just look at the world and smile at everything that makes them happy like your cutie Tahlia in that picture and that angelic trio of godchildren: what a beautiful photo! And yay for Tennessee too! I went to high school there (Nashville), and I still like to go back and visit every chance I get... and now, maybe maybe maybe with so many people getting vaccinated, we'll be able to start traveling again. Like back in the "old days"...! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, Lauren. You seem like a very sweet person. I'm so glad you're fulfilling the call on your life to serve others. Social work, from what I understand, can be very difficult and doesn't pay well. What a great combination! It sounds like you have your eye on a greater reward, and because of that, I salute you. I often wonder if I'm following the path God has for me. I know I'll find it eventually, and even when I stray, I know He is with me.

    Thank you for caring, and good luck in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm back. I always read the story first, so I never know right away if I've already interacted with the author before. I do remember your introduction, though. In your story for this week you used children's characters and told a story with them. Based on all your experience with children, it makes sense why you would pick that route.

      Delete
  13. Hi Lauren, I am also a senior! Ahh crazy how time flies when you're having fun :) I hope you are enjoying your last semester so far, and I hope you are doing alright. I know it is a hard time, but you seem like you are killing the game. You seem very busy, but that is a good thing in a world that has slowed down so significantly! I am glad you are a nerd, because that is what makes life more fun and interesting! Having things you get excited about :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lauren! My mom is also from Tennessee (Memphis), and my family lives in Kentucky now, so I'm familiar with how nice the area is! I'm a Christian as well--I love to see how on fire you are for your faith, and so open to sharing it. Your niece and godchildren are so cute. That's great that you love not only your biological family, but also the family you're making here in Norman!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lauren!
    Adding ministry work on top of everything else must be hard, but definitely worth it! I’m not involved in church as I was when I was younger so I can’t imagine just how much you’ve got on your plate. I also have a young niece, along with two nephews, and I love the little goobers to bits! We are always in need of great social workers and I’m glad that someone as hard working and driven as you are has decided to go on that path. Wishing you the best of luck! (Your niece and god children are also SO cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lauren! I really enjoyed reading your introduction. Also what a small world because I actually have a job interview with child welfare in okc this week! I am graduating in May as well and am super nervous. I am excited to graduate though and see what is all out there. I wish you the best of luck with the rest of your semester and congrats on already getting a full time job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lauren!
    First of all, I love how colorful your blog is! It is really cute. It is so nice that you have a home away from home here as family makes a place feel more like home. Your niece and god children are precious! I can tell you are so strong in your faith and I'm sure you have made such an impact in all of the kid's lives that you've worked with! I wish you luck on finals!

    ReplyDelete

Story Lab week 15: Six Word Stories/ Microfiction

       Henry Mills, The New Author Henry Mills sat in his room thinking over how he had just become the Author, keeper, and teller of all st...