Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Week 2 Reading Overview



Choose from CLASSICAL and/or BIBLICAL units for Weeks 3 and 4.

Week 3: Adam and Eve

Week 4: Jewish Fairy Tales

Choose from MIDDLE EASTERN and/or INDIAN units for Weeks 5 and 6.

Week 5: Ancient Egypt

Week 6: Sinbad 

Choose from ASIAN and/or AFRICAN units for Weeks 7 and 9. [Week 8 is review week.]

Week 7: Japanese Mythology

Week 9: Brer Rabbit 

Choose from NATIVE AMERICAN units for Weeks 10 and 11.

Week 10: Cherokee

Week 11: Marriage Tales

Choose from BRITISH and/or CELTIC units for Weeks 12 and 13.

Week 12: Celtic Tales 

Week 13: Faerie Queene

Choose from EUROPEAN units for Weeks 14 and 15.

Week 14: Grimm (LibriVox)

Week 15: Jacobs


Nun Raises The Sun. I've always though old Egyptian writings looked really cool.




Comments:
I am really excited for the whole semester. Each unit has something I'm looking forward too. I'm looking forward to looking into more Jewish folklore. Since I am a Christian, and enjoy reading the Bible, it will be interesting to look at some of the folklore stories and the Adam and Eve unit. For the next unit I picked Ancient Egypt. I'm a fan of Rick Riordan's books, but haven't read his Egyptian series yet, because I don't know as much about Egyptian mythology. So, I think it will be interesting to learn about. I also picked Sinbad, because I like adventure tales and it sound really interesting. The next unit I picked Japanese Mythology and Brer Rabbit. I am looking forward to both of these units. In the Native American unit, the marriage tales sound like they will be different from other folklore I've read before. Also, I took a Native American music class and read some stories from that class. It will be interesting to make connections since story-telling and music both are a huge part of Native American culture. The last two I'm really excited for are Faerie Queene and Jacobs stories. I love heroine stories like the Faerie Queene seems to be. One of my favorite young adult authors, Tamora Pierce, has a book series called The Lioness that is based on a young woman masquerading as a knight, as well. So it should be really entertaining for me. Also, as I mentioned in earlier posts, I'm a huge twisted fairytales fan. I'm sure I will love Jacobs rendition of fairytales, as well. One type of folklore I would like to learn about is the Gullah people of South Carolina. When I visited I saw a rich culture that I didn't get to spend enough time observing or learning from. But, all in all I am ready for this class!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Story Lab week 15: Six Word Stories/ Microfiction

       Henry Mills, The New Author Henry Mills sat in his room thinking over how he had just become the Author, keeper, and teller of all st...