Sunday, February 14, 2021

Feedback Strategies

 


Feedback graffiti sign. (Source: Pixabay )


For one of this week's assignments, we looked at feedback strategies. This week was really helpful to me because I typically fall into the pattern of "Amazing!" or "Good job!" without actually giving good feedback. I read two articles called "The Trouble with Amazing: Giving Praise That Matters," and "Be a Mirror: Give Readers Feedback That Fosters a Growth Mindset." Both of these articles talk about what I struggle with: giving good constructive feedback. I really like how a growth mindset helps me to focus on the effort someone is putting into it, other than on the person themselves. This is actually way more beneficial and I will be using this strategy more in other areas of my life also. 

As I was looking through the feedback gallery, the ones that really caught my eye were the comments that actually had thoughtful suggestions. If there was something missing or wrong in the story, they suggested a correction or a new strategy, they did not just give criticism and then move on. For me, that means that someone was actually paying attention to my work and took the effort to suggest something that would actually help me make my work even better. It makes me feel like someone thought my work was worth putting the effort into to comment back and make a helpful suggestion, too. I really think that this class will help me with my feedback strategies and help me give better advice and praise in different areas of my life. While I don't have many strategies for feedback myself, I am sure I will learn more as the semester progresses. I can not wait to learn more about growth mindset and how it can change the way I think about myself and my effort in class and work. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Story Lab week 15: Six Word Stories/ Microfiction

       Henry Mills, The New Author Henry Mills sat in his room thinking over how he had just become the Author, keeper, and teller of all st...