Thursday, March 4, 2021

Crash Course Mythology Videos Thoughts

     

Crash Course Mythology Notes


    This week instead of writing a story, I chose to do the story lab option of watching the Crash Course mythology videos and writing about my thoughts. I enjoyed looking at the different schools of thought and the focus on Joseph Campbell's hero monomyth. When studying the background of mythology it's interesting to see how all of the stories have so much in common. I like how the guy in the video used the Australian version of the Pleiades to show how even though all the hero myths may not follow each step of the monomyth, they do follow the general pattern. It also interests me how mythology can be connected in many different ways to other topics. I like how they call mythology a "Slurpee of Knowledge" because of how so many things are addressed in it. The way the guy in the video brings the roots of psychology into it is good too. Looking and studying myths and folklore this way can give a whole new perspective on what these stories do for the cultures they are apart of. 

    The video on the hero monomyth has definitely given me ideas on how to start my storybook and how to make it flow better. Since I'm doing a King Arthur story, he is perfect for the monomyth. I also like the school of thought from Carl Jung and collectiveness. I think that since I am pulling in other knights to fight alongside Arthur, that the idea of collectiveness will fit in very well and help bring the story cohesiveness. 


Overall, I really enjoyed the three videos. I will definitely be watching more of them in my own free time. 




A picture of Wonder Woman, because why not? (source: Pixabay )


Sources for videos: Crash Course Mythology


No comments:

Post a Comment

Story Lab week 15: Six Word Stories/ Microfiction

       Henry Mills, The New Author Henry Mills sat in his room thinking over how he had just become the Author, keeper, and teller of all st...